I featured a few Kindle covers in recent posts because I’ve been on the hunt for a diy cover for my new Kindle.
Most of the covers that I’ve seen required sewing and I wasn’t sure I could pull that off. I decided to try a no-sew book style cover instead.
Here's what I came up with. The inspiration for my Kindle cover came from a book upcycle project that Rook No. 17 shared.
Here’s how I made my Kindle cover:
- Start with an old book.
- Cut out the book pages with an X-acto knife and trim the ragged edges.
- Cut a piece of fabric larger than your book cover.
- Use spray mount to adhere the fabric to the book cover and wrap the fabric edges to the inside. Cut the corners so that they are mitered.
- Cut pieces of felt to pad the inside and cover the raw fabric edges. Use spray mount to adhere the felt to the inside.
- Create a book spine using a piece of ribbon or coordinating piece of fabric. Again use spray mount to adhere the ribbon to the spine. You can use craft glue to reinforce the edges of the ribbon where they meet.
Once the book cover is dry, add a button and piece of elastic to create a closure. I used a vintage wood button and you guessed it, a pony tail holder. To secure the button and elastic, I used E-6000 glue and let it dry overnight.
The Kindle fits perfectly inside the book cover but I realized it could still slip out of the bottom.
I added another piece of elastic – and yes, it’s one of those elastic headbands.